I remembered to take lots of pictures along the way, so here is how I made my first car:
The sculpt was finished, so I popped it in the fridge to firm it up, then put on a crumb coat of butter cream
Cut out some holes for wheels...
Then cover with fondant. This was too thick, which hurt the accuracy of my details later on. But the Blue Beast was coming to life!
A quick trim and it's starting to look like a car. It was right here that I noticed it was too round to be a Subaru.
I had earlier made a short rectangular layer to be the bit of ground with the mud puddle. My measurements were off, and I noticed here that the car was going to be just as long as the puddle. Seeing as there were only 10 or so people coming to the party, less cake was better, but my initial drawing was off. I really should have made the car smaller to begin with, but oh well.
I also, here for the mud, accidentally created the perfect consistency for butter cream. I've been making it according to a wonderful recipe for a few years now, and it's delicious, and by putting in a little more dairy than called for it has given me a usable putty for a few years now. In order for my mud to be fluid enough I added an additional third in small increments and oh my, this was so much easier to work with. I will be doing this from now on. Not only will it go on smoother, but it will also go further!
Car meets mud! And also a ton of details. I had Sarah send me a few picture of Gary's car, so I knew exactly where I needed colours and logos. Any references you have when making a realistic cake the better.
The back end complete with plate cut out and trim indents
The front end featuring Gary's black hood and scoop
And finally, all covered in mud!
I had a lot of fun making this but definitely need to remember to stick to my initial measurements. For some reason, I didn't think 10" long was going to be impressive enough, so I changed it to 11, and then didn't take into account how much frosting and fondant add to the cake.
Happy Birthday Gary... Your Blue Beast was fun to recreate!