Friday, July 18, 2014

Milenium Falcon, take 2

One of my favourite things about this job is the creativity and individuality that goes into each cake.  I like the whole process of designing a cake - sketching it out or finding similar cake photos and turning it into my own.  I've always liked that I don't do cookie cutter cakes, that I need to think for each one.  Partly for the fun of it, and partly so that everyone gets a cake that is as unique as they are.

But it's happened a few times now that I've made a cake once and really wanted to make it again.  Either to make improvements that I figured out on the way, or because it was just so darned fun.

The Milenium Falcon was definitely one of those cakes.  As soon as I figured out the technique for making the Lego look realistic I've been dying to have another go.  Fortunately for me, I have no shortage of geeky customers looking for just such a cake.

Laura's son is a very big Lego Star Wars fan.  He's 8, and has more sets than we do (which made Fella jealous when I told him).  He wanted his party to be Star Wars themed, so Linda knew exactly what she needed from me.  Having made one already, I knew what steps I had to do, and how to improve it.  I know what I would have to do next time, but I couldn't have been happier with how this one turned out.
 
No how-to this time, as I've outlined in the previous version
 So this is just about the photos, and the small improvements.

I've gotten into the habit of covering the cake board to fancy up the presentation.  This blue is the same as the blue on the light strip/engine? thing at the back of the Falcon (which sadly I didn't grab a picture of)  Laura loved the colour choice, being that it's her favourite colour.  Happy coincidence!

Jen Bakes Cakes


Jen Bakes Cakes

I decided to print of the lettering for this rather than use my normal alphabet cutters, and while it's not perfect, it has a much more authentic look to it. 

Jen Bakes Cakes


Jen Bakes Cakes


Jen Bakes Cakes


Jen Bakes Cakes


Jen Bakes Cakes


Jen Bakes Cakes

Next to to its Lego doppelganger.

Jen Bakes Cakes

Senna, since I was lucky enough to deliver this to you personally I know you loved the cake, so I hope you had a fantastic party!

No comments:

Post a Comment