Sunday, June 09, 2013

A monkey for Mateo

I got a call from an old colleague needing a cake for his son's first birthday.  They knew they wanted a monkey themed cake but weren't sure on exactly what they wanted.  I sent them googling, and they cake to me with a very cute single layer cake with monkeys and palm trees.  Carlos ran with that and we made some changes since he wanted a 2 tier cake. 

This was a very fun cake.  I was a little skeptical of my skills with fondant sculpting, as the most I've done before is cars and shoes for a christening cake.  I found a tutorial and fiddled around and gave it the ol' college try.  A successful test run, and Carlos was in business for monkeys on a cake. 

The real monkeys took some time.  Roughly 2 hours for the both of them.  This was new territory for me, and I wanted to do it right, so I took my time.  I'm amazed at how well they turned out.  I don't have to be afraid of sculpting anymore.



Jen Bakes Cakes
Death stare aside, super cute!

 The monkeys were to be surrounded my bananas, so I spent a little time making tiny bunches of bananas.  Staking them to look natural was trickier than one would think. 

Jen Bakes Cakes
I've got a lovely bunch of ... bananas


The finished product:  My Monkey Cake!

This turned out better than I was expecting.  Leaps and bounds better.  I should have charged more to be honest.  I tend to give family and friends a bit of a discount, especially when trying something new in case it doesn't turn out well.  But this... this was a masterpiece.  There is nothing about it I wished I did differently - that's rare to say. 

Those are some happy monkeys!
Jen Bakes Cakes
Oh these?  Just an afternoon snack.

 I made the trees go all the way around so it wasn't bare at the back.  I love how they turned out. 

Jen Bakes Cakes
And yes... I made sure to hang the bananas the right way

Here she is!  

Jen Bakes Cakes

No comments:

Post a Comment