Monday, September 02, 2013

Flight suit, with a twist

This belly cake might be the oddest one I will ever make.  I thought my ringmaster was the furthest away I would get from the dressy belly I first made, but this one is quite specific.

See, fella's friends all met through the air cadets.  They are all pilots; some professionally, some privately, and some still through the military.  Lindsey, up until the giant belly, was in charge of a centre where new cadets would come out and learn to fly a glider. 

As soon as I found out that we were having a shower while the bun was still in the oven, I volunteered to make the cake.  I told fella about my idea, and his eyes lit up.  That normally only happens when 'I'm making a cake' is followed by 'for you'.  I immediately sent off an email to the host, who replied "Um, that would be AMAZING!!!!!!!!"

Done.

This one required quite a bit of researching.  In a room full of pilots, I had to get this one right.  Thankfully, fella had this lying around...


flight suit cake




Yep.  A belly dressed up in that.  Then took an old cake and drew the plan.


belly cake
Not too shabby!


Finally, I remembered to take pictures along the way, so here's a little tutorial!

After my favourite cake recipe is mixed and baked we have the makings of a cake.
 
belly cake
I'm not giving away all my trade secrets, so you'll have to guess how to get these shapes.


A little bit of cutting, and molding, and here were have boobs, and a nice tall belly:

belly cake

After a thin crumb coat and a chill, a thicker, final coat of icing, then into the fridge to firm up before starting with the fondanting!


Now it's just a matter of decorating.

This is how my kitchen looked... I love having a life size model to work from.  It makes this step so much easier.

flight suit cake

Fondant on the cake, now just needs to be trimmed to shape.  On normal belly cakes, I don't let the fondant go all the way to the board under the belly - I want it to sit outwards and be ruffly like a dress would hang.
flight suit cake


I couldn't make all the patches standard issue looking being so small, so I had to improvise.  This name patch should have first and last name, as well as the type of plane the person flies.  I had a hard enough time getting just the last name on here!

flight suit cake

As soon as fella knew that I was making the cake, he said I had to make this old patch.  I don't know what the difference between this and the new one, but everyone seemed happy to see it on the cake, so I guess there's more to it than I know.

flight suit cake


As soon as I finish a cake, I take as many pictures of every angle of the cake in case I every need to make it again.  So here is my final photo shoot with the cake. 

flight suit cake


flight suit cake

 flight suit cake

flight suit cake
At ease, baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment